Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Problems During First Filming Location

 After we finished with our biggest prop, we hopped on the car and drove to Markham park in order to film our forest scene. However, on the way there, while we were practicing our lines, we realized that we had a lot of dialogue and no microphones. This would not worry me if our scenes were inside a quiet room, but all of our talking scenes took place in the hiking trail. Once we got there, and my brother Hector who agreed to help us film some of the scenes, we realized we would not be able to do our original script, and the best choice was to go back to our original idea of the voice over. We looked at our storyboard, sat down, and brainstormed how we could transform our conversation into an inner dialogue inside Maddie's head, while still showing the element of shock when Sarah goes missing. We developed some ideas, then went right back to filming because we could not miss the sunset. We followed most of the shots in our original storyboard, except for the over the shoulder shots that were originally there to show the dialogue happening between the sisters. Therefore, the day resulted in major changes in both our script and story board. It felt a little unsettling knowing that so much we had planned was changing so quickly, however, I was already feeling this unsettlement over our dialogue, because I knew both of us were not that comfortable in front of the camera, so in that aspect of the project, I did feel relieved.



Even though these were quick, major changes, I am starting to believe that these were actually for the better. We continued on filming, and took advantage every time there wasn't anyone else in the camera's shot. Since there would be no over the shoulder shots due to no dialogue, we did several shots of just us walking in order to be sure to have enough film to show while the voice over played. The most difficult scene for me to film was the one where I, Maddie, supposedly falls and twists her ankle. I had not given this scene much thought, and realized it was not as easy as I though to fake an accidental fall. We had to re-shoot it about five times, but I was satisfied with the last shot. I was also very proud of how our final shot ended up, which consisted of the camera consistently moving around Maddie as she starts to show fear for the worse, which is Sarah disappearing. I thought with the right editing, this scene can be as chaotic as we imagined it. We wrapped up our filming, and Eugenia and I agreed to get on working on the new script and music as soon as go back to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR/ Reflection

  What a ride this has been! We are finally at the end of the road. This project definitely challenged certain skills and tactics that I did...