Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Beginning the Journey!

 This is the first week of our portfolio project. I have been thinking about my idea for this project ever since I chose to take the course last year, and thought I would have a clear view of what I wanted to do by the time we start, but the picture in my mind fo what my project will be is not as clear as I wanted it to be. Even though I am excited, I'm also anxious to find a good idea and be able to produce a film opening that has professional techniques and is an overall good project. Towards the genre, I am between two very distinctive and different choices- I was thinking of either doing a coming-of-age film opening, with an either getting ready sequence or a cooking sequence- or doing a mystery/horror film opening. These two ideas couldn't be more different, but I have small ideas that I think could go well with either, so tomorrow I will discuss them with my partner in class and agree on a genre and a basis for our story. 

Me and Eugenia decided to work together last class, since both of us had worked on previous projects together and we liked our dynamic. Neither of us are too excited about acting or being in front of the camera, but we have done it before so I don't think this will be an issue for us. While I wait for tomorrow, I have decided to start some research on some film openings themselves, not just a specific genre. I have watched several of the student's samples both on my teacher's website and some posted on YouTube, but I tried not to watch too many in order to let let them influence me as much. I did watch a fourteen minute video called the "Art of the Opening Scene" by StudioBinder, and found this video extremely helpful. It helped me realize how important this scene is to a movie, and gave me exampled of other ways to start an opening scene that I hadn't thought of before. For example, I hadn't thought of doing a flashbacks opening scene, opening with a character's memory. I also really liked the idea of having a plot twist, making the audience believe something will go a way, and suddenly taking it the other day- hooking attention. This gave me. a lot of ideas that I am excited to discuss with Eugenia tomorrow.



Link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw_ysaoVlt4


No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR/ Reflection

  What a ride this has been! We are finally at the end of the road. This project definitely challenged certain skills and tactics that I did...